Thursday, November 21, 2013

Insert Sentiment Here

I really hate buying cards for people. Specially certain people that I have very complicated non-traditional relationships. Certain people that are also very sensitive about wanting to pretend that our relationship is not complicated or non-traditional.

So, when you go to buy a card out of cultural expectations and are me, you find yourself in a dilemma. Why can't the cards simply say state "Happy [Certain Day]!" on the inside with some nice art? Why do they have to add on, making them not appropriate?

"You've always been there for me"? Nope. We both know that's a lie.

"You're the only one I've got"? Funky grammar and, also, not true.

"Thank you for everything you've done for me"? Pfft. Yeah, that'll make for some awkward moments.

I seriously can spend 40 minutes in a card aisle of a drugstore, desperately trying to find one that doesn't make my stomach churn. And curse myself for not having the forethought to purchase some nice stock paper and make a card myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment