Monday, May 26, 2014

Victorian People Being Sad: Penny Dreadful

Three episodes of Penny Dreadful have aired and I'm starting to realize that the show won't give enough for me to form an opinion on it until the end of the season finale. Because that's how this crap works these days.



I mean, the acting is great. Timothy Dalton is growling all over the place and Josh Hartnett is proving that he's more interesting as he ages out of the teen heartthrob look. Eva Green looking great in Victorian dresses. And Billie Piper. I will follow Billie Piper where ever she may go. Even if most of her scenes seem to involve her being naked. I even like her Irish accent.

But there's too much going on. Frankenstein is having weird slightly-romantic relationships with his creation(s). There are vampires and demons and mystery upon mystery upon mystery upon mystery. And... it's a bit too much to care about. It's a lot of talking in riddles and about things rather than experiencing them.

Also... ugh, enough with the copious blood splatter scenes.

I should like the show. But I also didn't care for NBC's Dracula. Maybe I'm just done with Victorian horror. Sadness.

No comments:

Post a Comment